Reflecting on Teacher Appreciation Week

Thanks for all you do WeVideo creators!

Our Chief Education Officer Dr. Nathan Lang-Raad shared 7 takeaways from remote learning on our blog https://bit.ly/2zdolxL

Comment below with what you’ve learned so far. :blue_heart:

P.S.: If you or your friends are attending CUE (@CUEINC) or IDEA (@IDEAIllinois) programming this week. In partnership with both groups we are giving away to 3 winners: 1-year access for 30 students to WeVideo for Schools along with a copy of “WeVideo Every Day: 40 Strategies to Deepen Learning in Any Class”

Feel free to spread the word :partying_face:

Also be on the lookout for some ALL NEW rewards under the rewards tab!

6 Likes

Oh awesome! So bummed I’m not doing either. But such a great prize! This membership the last 3 years has been helpful for my students.

2 Likes

That’s awesome @larissa!

1 Like

I loved the post on 7 takeaways from Remote Learning! The biggest things I took from it was Clarity and Professional Development are two important things for a teacher (and anyone really). Clarify instructions and expectations for students so they know exactly what to do and what is expected. I agree there is so much professional development out there as well and it’s easy to take advantage of resources available to teachers. Great job!

3 Likes

I loved the post on the Seven things I’ve learned from remote learning, if there was one mayor takeaway is the emphasis on Everyone’s wellbeing. It has been a hard and trying 2 months, both our kids and us are feeling the cabin fever. It’s really nice to bring that “thinking of others” into the forefront.

3 Likes

I agree @luis.fernando.pertuz.escribano. Student well-being is so important! And teacher well-being too. :blush:

2 Likes

What I have learned from this whole mess so far is that we need to come together to stay mentally healthy and happy. Having a great group of people like all of you here has really helped. It is always a nice break to go to a place where people focus on helping each other.

2 Likes

I have learned that parents probably appreciate their classroom teacher even more now! Parenting and teaching are the same yet different. We both have the same goal - seeing our students/children grow into a remarkable human being!

My take-aways for teachers: I agree with Nathan’s seven items.
Words of Wisdom:

• You can only control what you can control. (Don’t fret, it’s all new to everyone!)
  • Flexibility is vital! If you can’t get your hands on that one book you need, change to another source.
  • Seek help when you need it. Humility is needed. It’s okay to ask for help!
  • If you feel isolated, talk to someone. Call a friend, Zoom with them do something to get in contact with someone. We are social beings and lack of it can drive you a bit crazy.
  • Make friends with your school librarian! We have so many resources and ways we can help!!
  • Always remember why you became a teacher in the first place.

We are in this together!

3 Likes

Amazing post 7 takeaways from Remote Learning !!

What I have learned from this situation is that an appropriate use of technology can make a huge impact on some students that are not accessing learning using “traditional methods”. Some of my students with learning difficulties were finding it challenging to engage in any lesson when being in the classroom. As soon as we started remote teaching, using interactive games/activities their levels of engagement and the amount of work that they were producing skyrocketed!

I hope that some good come back from this situation and the education settings finally change for the better of all learners and we are able to provide learning according with 21st century skills that pupils need to succeed WeVideo makes this possible!

1 Like

Great post. Approaching two months, I think the only thing that i would add to that (or maybe a corollary to SIMPLICITY) is to avoid the false need for perfection!

We aren’t perfect in class and we know this…our kids know this.

Do not fall into the Pit of Unattainable Perfection. Make the video, do the lesson, teach the thing. Edit what must be edited and then shove it out the door.

Yes, you COULD spend forever making it “just right” but you will stress yourself out without a real payoff.

Deep breaths. Calm.

2 Likes

Simplicity and Consistency!

I really liked those two the most. Working side-by-side with all three of my kids has taught me how to be a better teacher myself. I’ve learned to keep things “SIMPLE” and not try to do too much too fast. I can slow down and simplify each task to make the learning more clear. I’ve also noticed how much my kids appreciate their teachers that are “CONSISTENT” not only in their educational philosophy, but in the way they present new learning and even how they assess learning. And when it is time to change up something, it is also time to remember to keep it simple.

1 Like

FEEDBACK-this is incredibly important for students. They are feeling frustrated in our 6th grade classes because email isn’t a fast enough way or personal enough way to give feedback.

1 Like

I also believe Consistency Asynchronous Learning is important. Right now teachers and students are getting bombarded with resources and tech software/websites to use. I personally feel that We Video & Seesaw are really great. It promotes creativity, developing tech skills, voice and many other skills. I love Wevideo as an avenue to push out content/information by creating a fun way to relay the information. Kids can also use this to express themselves and show their learning at the same time.

1 Like

Thank you for this post. I want to add vulnerability as a take away. I realize that it requires bravery to teach in a video format. The transparency, the vulnerability, the humility is all part of the experience. But hopefully, it makes us appreciate where we are, where our students are. I hope it invites equitable discussion, give and take from students.

1 Like

Prefection. It is important that we do not strive for perfection or expect it from our students. Perfect is different to everyone and showing mistakes, makes you human,

3 Likes

Appreciate the post! The past couple of months have been challenging for everyone. It has also created some great opportunities for teaching and learning. My take away is teachers are more willing to try new things than they had been in the past. Also I am noticing more flexibility in assignments and how students demonstrate learning, both are exciting!
As this continues, as someone mentioned earlier, wellness and balance in life seem to be something that more and more people are becoming aware of and focusing on.

1 Like

I thought of things that were highlighted from remote learning. I had 3 big ones.

1. Connections to students (checking in making sure they know we are here not just when remote, but when we get back to school. A real check in, sure a fist bump, hello, greeting at the door is important, but ask “hey how are you today?” and listen)
  2. Feedback, real strong feedback that can allow students to grow. Maybe even a message of wow that was so amazing I’m going to use it because you inspired me.
  3. Relevant/meaningful lessons, projects, & assignments. We need to be sure the students see the value in the work we give, at school their a captive audience, but at home your work compete with X-Box, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc… We should take notice and work to improve and make relevant meaningful work now and when we return.

Just my thouhgts

1 Like

JD

Your comments about simplicity made me think about how we strive for it in these times. For instance, the first part of Distance Learning had me look into numerous tools to deliver content. Over the past few weeks, I have narrowed it down to tools like WeVideo.

Thanks for the post

2 Likes

Everyone’s Well Being is so important as we celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week. This job is hard. We need to be cognizant of how we handle workloads. In my case, I share one laptop with my wife who is also a teacher. That forces us to break up our screen time and focus on other aspects of our lives. Like most teachers, asynchronous learning allows us to teach at any time, but you need to have time to yourselves. Stay Healthy everyone

1 Like

My inbox is overflowing with distance learning ideas. While this can be exciting, it is overwhelming! I agree with Dr. Lang-Raad, take some ideas, some platforms, and really explore them. Know the desired end result.

1 Like